Split Screen Podcast: Episode 23 – The Hard Bollywood Remake Of ‘The Hard Way’
The best damn Bollywood remake comparison show, The Split Screen Podcast, returns with a long awaited comparison of a pair of movies that may be obscure to some, but fan favorites of others. Joining Shah Shahid is a popular member of the Twitterati, and film theorist who breaks down the Bollywood remake of an awesome Hollywood movie.
So join Shah Shahid with guest Allan Mott as they compare ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’ (1994) the Bollywood remake of ‘The Hard Way’. (1991)
A quick refresher about the show:
The Split Screen Podcast compares and analyzes movies that are adaptations of other works, directly with the source material that they were inspired by. In this episode, we compare two 90’s action-comedy films.
A bona fide film theorist, Allan was introduced to Bollywood movies through friends and has adapted his love of cinema and mad analytical skillz to pick apart movies from the Indian Film Industry as well. Allan is a busy bee, contributing his film rants to many platforms and outlets, while also (barely) updating his own film blog, Vanity Fear. Also: Of all the Allan Motts who have ever Allan Motted, he is the Allan Mottest. (paraphrased from his Social Media profile)
- Shah introduces Allan Mott to the world. Or rather the world to Mott?
- We get to find out a bit about what Allan does and what human body part helped his appreciation for movies.
- Shah & Allan bitch about the concept of Spoilers.
- They also have a brief tangent about the appreciation of Trailers.
- Allan discusses just how he got into Bollywood.
- Shah grills Allan about his thoughts on remakes in general.
- Allan articulately summarizes the idea of Remake fatigue within the film industry today, and why it exists.
- We all get a crash course on the history of the Hollywood studio system from Allan!
- Allan presents brand new viewpoints about Bollywood that have hitherto been escaped Shah’s thoughts.
- Allan reveals how much he relates to Michael J. Fox.
- Allan synopsises ‘The Hard Way’ for us.
- The boys weird about Akshay Kumar’s Bollywood ‘franchise’ and how it’s built on one word.
- Allan shares what he loves about the Michael J. Fox starring action-comedy film.
- Shah & Allan discuss the differences in the Bollywood remake ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’.
- Shah is weirded out at the disturbing depictions of women and love stories in ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’.
- Shah & Allan break down more or less all the problematic plot points of ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’.
- Allan articulates why even cheesy Bollywood works, in a great analysis of Bollywood itself.
- Shah complains about how the ratings and subject matter of Bollywood, and just how family friendly it is.
Where To Find Allan
Allan’s Blog: Vanity Fear
Allan’s Twitter: @
Follow Us Everywhere!
Follow the Podcast on Twitter: @splitscreen_pod
Follow me personally on Twitter: @theshahshahid
Like Us On Facebook: Blank Page Beatdown
Subscribe to the website: Blank Page Beatdown
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please leave us a Rating + Review on iTunes or Stitcher to show your love and support the show!
Where To Listen
- For iPhone/iPad/iPod: Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “Split Screen Podcast”. This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
- For Android: Click here to choose an Android App to listen and Subscribe to the podcast. Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, search “Split Screen Podcast” to find the show.
- For podcast Enthusiasts: If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is here.
- For those who don’t have a mobile device: You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this page. You can see here for more episodes.