Split Screen Podcast: Episode 05 – Amitabh Bachchan V. Shahrukh Khan
This is a special episode of the Split Screen Podcast, as it’s the first time that we compare two movies, both made in Bollywood, decades apart, but controversial on principle alone. The original 1978 ‘Don’ was an unexpected cult hit, furthering the career of one of the legends of Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan. The film was remade, (as people almost took up arms in protest) for a new generation with the current Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan in 2006 in Farhan Akhtar directed ‘Don‘. (obviously)
So listen on as me and my guest this week debate the age-less quality of the original and the nuances of each performance of the exact same character, in the exact same movie, with major changes in Episode 05 of the Split Screen Podcast: Amitabh Bachchan V. Shahrukh Khan.
Here’s a brief description of the mandate of this Podcast:
The Split Screen Podcast will compare and analyze movies that are adaptations of other works, directly with the source material that they were inspired by. The goal is to essentially determine how good or bad the adaptations were and, most excitingly, going off on long winded, expletive laced rants when they’re bad. The realm of these films contain adaptions of novels, comic books, other films or TV shows, or any other movies that were directly inspired by another piece of work. Split Screen will also introduce the world to a mother load of Indian, a.k.a., Bollywood movies that were ‘inspired’ by classic and cult films of Hollywood and other film industries, sometimes with hilarious cinematic results!
Episode 5 of the Split Screen Podcast deals with a cult classic Bollywood movie, with memorable one-liners that have seeped into South Asian pop culture, and how the son of the original writer, decides to update it for a new generation and how it stacks up against the original.
Mohammad Baloch is a host extraordinnaire with two Bollywood movie related Podcasts, each with a different format. BollyCast features reviews, news, and unique discussions of the latest Bollywood movies from the perspective of three of the most unprofessionally professional hosts ever! Baloch and his co-hosts go of the rails and present all Bollywood news in an entertainingly ridiculous manner. While on WTFBollywood Podcast, co-host Kay Fil keeps Baloch on track as they all out review Bollywood films, old and new, while focusing on perspectives that go beyond skin deep.
- Meet Baloch: narcissistically unprofessional Podcast host of BollyCast & WTFBollywood by day, and secret club dancer by night.
- Baloch wants to remake everything!
- Baloch feel that remakes only give more attention to the original, without taking anything away from them.
- Baloch and I discuss the business of remakes; should the creative be the main consideration or the business aspects of it?
- I make Baloch concede that creative reasons for making films, should be the main consideration.
- What was the original ‘Don‘, and the impact it had on Bollywood at the time.
- Baloch compares 1978 ‘Don‘ to other films of the time, and doesn’t think it holds up.
- The surprising sexism in the original ‘Don‘.
- The even more surprisingly physical portrayal of Zeenat Aman as Roma in the original ‘Don‘.
- The songs are integral to moving the plot forward.
- The Cheesiness of 1978 ‘Don‘ is part of the story, and doesn’t harm it as bad as others.
- Random movie scenes remind Baloch of intricate Porn scenarios.
- In a surprising turn of events, Shahrukh Khan super fan Baloch loves his version of ‘Don‘ from 2006.
- The portrayal of the Don character by both Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan are unique in their own ways.
- Shahrukh Khan has to work a lot harder to be intimidating as an Gangster, than Amitabh Bachchan.
- Influences of Shahrukh Khan’s depiction of Don.
- Twist Ending!
- Clues left in 2006 remake of ‘Don’ that revealed the twist ending of the remake!
Where To Find Baloch
Baloch’s Podcast for Bollywood news, reviews and much more: BollyCast
BollyCast on Twitter: @bollycast
Baloch’s Film Review Podcast of old and new Bollywood movies: WTFBollywood
WTFBollywood Pod On Twitter: @WTFBollywoodPod
Baloch on Twitter: @thatbrownguy420
Follow Us Everywhere!
Follow the Podcast on Twitter: @splitscreen_pod
Follow me personally on Twitter: @theshahshahid
Like Us On Facebook: Blank Page Beatdown
Subscribe to the website: Blank Page Beatdown
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where To Listen
- For iPhone/iPad/iPod: Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “Split Screen Podcast”. This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
- For Android: Click here to choose an Android App to listen and Subscribe to the podcast. Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, search “Split Screen Podcast” to find the show.
- For podcast Enthusiasts: If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is here.
- For those who don’t have a mobile device: You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this page. You can see here for more episodes.