Split Screen Podcast: Episode 08 – The Remake of ‘Warrior’
After some deviations from the format in the last 2 episodes, the Split Screen Podcast returns with our first episode of 2016 comparing the Bollywood remake to an amazing Hollywood movie. Also returning is the one and only Kathy Gibson from Access Bollywood with her thoughts on on these two movies, and which is the clear winner in this mele of MMA movies.
So check out Episode 8 of the Split Screen Podcast where we compare ‘Warrior‘ (2011) directed by Gavin Hood, and its Bollywood remake ‘Brothers‘ (2015) directed by Karan Malhotra.
Just to remind everyone what this podcast is about:
The Split Screen Podcast will compare and analyze movies that are adaptations of other works, directly with the source material that they were inspired by. The realm of these films contain adaptions of novels, comic books, other films or TV shows, or any other movies that were directly inspired by another piece of work.
- The Trailer for ‘Do Lafzon Ki Kahani’ as discussed in the intro of the show.
- I give a Spoiler free Synopsis of ‘Warrior’.
- Kathy and I gush about our love of ‘Warrior’.
- Discussing the merits of character development, and the impact of giving characters a back story that may not even make it on screen.
- ‘Brothers‘ is an official Bollywood remake of ‘Warrior‘ by the same studio.
- Kathy tries to give a synopsis of ‘Brothers‘ but our distaste for the movie seeps in ever so slowly.
- ‘Brothers’ is another Bollywood movie that exploits a little girl as a sympathetic plot point.
- I explain how the modifications made in ‘Brothers’ from ‘Warrior’ are inherently a bigger Bollywood movie problem.
- We analyze the context of ‘Warrior‘, such as its opening scene and it’s effect on the story, and how that is lacking in ‘Brothers’.
- The character played by Siddharth Malhotra in ‘Brothers‘ is grossly underdeveloped!
- Dissecting the main issue with the story changes in ‘Brothers‘.
- The Commentators provide more backstory for the characters than the writers or director of ‘Brothers‘.
- The well written relationships in ‘Warrior‘ is the most appealing aspect of the movie.
- Kathy and I discuss the parts of ‘Brothers‘ that both frustrates and makes us LOL. Hard!
- Why is Akshay Kumar’s character the hero of ‘Brothers’?!
- Jackie Shroff is the perfect Nick Nolte, but was massacred due to poor direction.
- Shefali Shah was a breath of fresh air in ‘Brothers‘.
- No one should ever name or nickname their kid ‘Poo Poo’. Just. No.
- I spew a conspiracy theory connecting ‘Brothers‘ to ‘Kabhie Khushi Kabhie Ghum’.
- Kathy and I both agree that ‘Brothers’ is a very poor imitation of ‘Warrior’.
- My Review of ‘Warrior‘.
- Kathy’s Review of ‘Brothers‘.
- My Review of ‘Brothers‘.
Where To Find Kathy
Kathy’s Bollywood movie review website: Access Bollywood
Kathy’s Twitter: @kathyfgibson
Follow Us Everywhere!
Follow the Podcast on Twitter: @splitscreen_pod
Follow me personally on Twitter: @theshahshahid
Like Us On Facebook: Blank Page Beatdown
Subscribe to the website: Blank Page Beatdown
Email me: email@example.com
Please leave us a Rating + Review on iTunes or Stitcher to show your love and have your Review read on the air!
Where To Listen
- For iPhone/iPad/iPod: Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “Split Screen Podcast”. This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
- For Android: Click here to choose an Android App to listen and Subscribe to the podcast. Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, search “Split Screen Podcast” to find the show.
- For podcast Enthusiasts: If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is here.
- For those who don’t have a mobile device: You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this page. You can see here for more episodes.